Week Notes 2021/4
Sun Jan 31, 2021
Notes for the week of 25th through 31st of January 2021.
Not the best of weeks. It felt reasonably productive at the day job, but outside of that a bit sloppy.
- Week four of the half marathon program. Nothing too memorable about Tuesday for the recovery run. The distance for Thursday was meant to be five miles, but the weather was awful, so I went on Friday afternoon. The weather was still awful, and I didn’t eat or drink enough before, so it sucked. Today, I was not optimistic since yesterday was stressful, but it went reasonably well and it was good to reach Footdee again.
- Also, I tried a coffee caramel flavoured gel just after the half way point, which both tasted good and perked me up.
- I’m still drinking more of the Filter Blend from Square Mile as my daily coffee.
- I might order something from Outpost down in Nottingham to mix things up.
- On Monday, I cooked gnocchi with a quickly made tomato sauce.
- On Monday, we watched Star Trek: Deep Space 9 S6E10 “The Magnificent Ferengi”.
- The Ferengi episodes always surprise me with how good they are.
- On Thursday night, because I didn’t run, I cooked a chickpea curry.
- It used some of the homemade vegetable stock that Jen has been making.
- On Saturday night I gave up and ordered vegan burgers and wings from Biff’s Vegan Burgers and Wingz.
- We hadn’t tried them before. It was fine.
- I finished reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.
- I stand by my assessment that it spent too much time trying to justify its premise.
- I started reading The Memory Police by Yōko Ogawa.
- On Friday evening we watched another episode of Lupin. It continues to be very enjoyable.
- Tonight, we intend to watch more of The Queen’s Gambit.
- On Saturday morning Deckard, my cat, broke into my office and we think ate something that upset his stomach as he was dribbling a few hours later while birdwatching.
- In the afternoon we took him to the emergency vet who couldn’t find anything obviously wrong with him but gave him some anti-nausea medicine.
- He seems a lot better today and has just devoured a bowl of boiled chicken breast.
- Obviously that ruined my plans to do anything.
- I have been playing Ghosts of Tsushima when too tired to read or write.
- I want to go back to playing Hades and Hollow Knight at some point.
- At work, I’ve made progress on a bunch of things and hit blockers on others. That happens.
- I have also changed how I plan my day and account for my time to something that works for the day job and outside.
- Using my notebook more. Picking three things to concentrate on. Planning time out to the best of my ability.
- A few weeks ago I switched screen time on my iPhone to limit all apps to two hours a day. It has brought my average time for phone use way down.
- Except for Saturday where I reverted to doomscrolling.
- On Monday, I watched a video by Robbie Phillips about building a home climbing wall. Yeah, I want to do this.
- However, it’d have to be 4’x8’ to fit into the shed.
- On Tuesday, I found a stack of notebooks dating back to 2012 which I had been looking for on and off for a few weeks.
- I wanted to read reread my notes from a course I attended in 2015 and a talk I went to in 2016.
- I added a reading lists page which contains books finished this year and changed the front page of this site.