Week Notes 2021/3
Sat Jan 23, 2021
Notes for the week of 17th through 24th of January 2021.
- Week three of the half marathon program. Nothing too notable on the Tuesday for the recovery run. The distance for Thursday was five miles so I switched to running along the sea front, which meant wearing a head torch to provide a bubble of light. Even though there was a vicious headwind on the way back from the run I still always enjoy the out-and-back runs in the dark by the sea. Especially, now that I have a system to stay warm and not blind. Today, Sunday, was awesome. I decided to go mid/late afternoon instead of in the morning, so I managed to get a proper amount of food & coffee in me. It was a reasonably slow run, but about 90% of the effort was in my Zone 2/moderate exertion level, which is exactly where I want it to be for these long, slow runs.
- The hard effort Thursday runs are quickly approaching. I have five days of holiday carried over from last year and I am considering taking a half day on the Thursday’s so I can fully commit to those training sessions without being to compromised/tired for work in the afternoon or Friday.
- This week’s coffee is once again the Filter Blend from Square Mile.
- Jen ordered a fern for me. It’s rather large and sits on my desk hiding my ugly work laptop.
- On Monday, I cooked some filled pasta with a soya bolognaise sauce.
- On Monday, we watched Star Trek: Deep Space 9 S6E9 “Statistical Probabilities”.
- Another not good episode.
- On Thursday night, I threw some vegan chicken Kiev and oven fries in the oven because of going for my run quite late.
- Next week I need to switch back to the rice cooker and quickly frying “chicken” burgers.
- On Saturday night I cooked a version of a Harlem chopped cheese sandwich using a pea protein burger instead of beef.
- I started reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.
- So far I’m finding it too capital F fantasy for my tastes. As a reader that it’s spending too much time trying to justify its premise. I’ll finish it in the coming week, but I want some thing more like The Invention of Morel than what I’ve read so far.
- On Wednesday, I watched the inauguration ceremonies and rituals for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
- On Wednesday evening I attended an interview with M John Harrison as part of the Goldsmith Prize series.
- On Friday evening we watched Black Panther.
- It was reasonably entertaining and didn’t do anything more or less than I’d expect from a Disney film.
- On Saturday evening we watched the first episode of Lupin, a French mystery series loosely based on the Arsène Lupin.
- We enjoyed it a lot and will continue with the series.
- If I write that I haven’t written much fiction this week I am strictly telling the truth, but one that elides small & significant progress on one project.
- For the day job, this week was fine if a little chaotic. A notable aniversery was passed this week as well. Two years ago on Friday I started taking daily scrum style notes during the working week.
- Of course this meant on Friday, I forgot to take stand up notes, so tomorrow’s actual stand up with my team will involve me struggling to remember precisely what I did and intended to do.