Week Notes 2021/28
Sun Jul 18, 2021
Notes for the two weeks of 12th through 18th of July 2021.
- Work has been work. I will be glad of a week off very soon.
- On Saturday, I went into an Oxfam bookshop and picked up six science fiction novels:
- The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Short. Sharp. Shock. by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Green Eyes by Lucius Shepard
- 334 by Thomas Dish (How many copies of this do I have now?)
- Inversions by Iain M. Banks
- Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks
- It’s probably getting close to my annual read an Iain Banks book I’d been saving since they are now an extremely finite resource.
- In terms of writing fiction, this week has been very much an on then off affair. The increasing heat and muggy weather along with my work/life balance slipping out of control has impacted my willingness to sit down and do the work. Although mid-week I did sit down and look at a writing exercise I’ve been devising.
- I got Emacs working on my Macbook Air. Visual Studio Code was starting to bother me in really petty ways. To put it simply, Emacs & Vim are musical instruments I know how to play well and Visual Studio Code is one that I don’t.
- My main monitor is starting to show signs of bad IPS backlight bleed, which is bothersome. This is not something I really wish to replace.
- How to Read Literature (Terry Eagleton, 2014)
- Still reading this. It’s fine. So far there’s nothing that’s a revelation in this book, but there is a good anecdote about Harold Pinter.
- Trafalgar (Angélica Gorodischer, 1979)
- This is very much my thing. A novel composed of short stories by an Argentine author.
- On Tuesday 13th July, I tried to go out for 10km, but stopped at five. It was warm & muggy beside the sea. No fun.
- On Friday 16th July, I headed north for an 11km loop which took in Scottstown Moor, which was a new location to me. About 120 meters of climb. About was warm as Tuesday, and, probably, as muggy, but I remembered to take half a litre of water, which made it kinda enjoyable.
- On Sunday 18th July, I went for a 12km run along the beach. It was at an easy pace. The main disappointment was the coffee trailer I’d intended to stop at about the halfway mark closed a few minutes after I passed it just before my turn around point. This was another occasion where I was wise to take a soft flask of water.
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9 S7E16 “Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges”
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9 S7E17 “Penumbra”
- Series Finale. Basically met my expectations. Easy entertainment. Well acted. Alternates between visually interesting and utterly boring
- Mostly with my Novation Circuit Tracks and a Red Means Recording Sample Pack
- I’m considering getting a small MIDI keyboard.
- Setup Nord theme for this website
- Tidy desk and workspace
- Mostly this means moving books back onto shelves
- Write more fiction