Week Notes 2021/18
Mon May 10, 2021
Notes for the week of 3rd through 9th of May 2021.
The weather was mostly the threat of rain instead of actually raining, which somehow was worse and soured my mood all week.
- The coffee for this week was Tin Cup’s filter blend sourced from Ethiopia.
- I continued reading M John Harrison’s The Sunken Land Begins to Rise Again.
- I finished reading the draft of a friends novel ahead of the bank holiday
- And then promptly decided not to write up a report immediately.
- On the bank holiday Monday, I spent an hour or so working on fiction.
- Work things happened:
- I got to write some Go as a palate cleanser.
- Although I did spend most of the week elbow deep in digital gore.
- On Wednesday evening, after a frustrating evening of looking at a Word document, I decided to resume practicing freewriting in an effort to produce more stuff to edit.
- Started ten minutes minimum per day on Friday and have continued throughout the weekend.
- On Thursday evening I met a walking group and went for a short walk around the River Don estuary.
- Very local paths to me.
- A highly enjoyable evening. It was good to spend time with different people.
- On Saturday, I offered up a short story draft to be critiqued and have had some constructive feedback so far.
- Over the weekend I bought some books:
- Ian McDonald’s novel “Desolation Road”
- Trafalgar by Angélica Gorodischer and translated by Amalia Gladhart
- Ian McDonald’s collection of shorter works “Cyberabad Days”
- Week three of the current program. I didn’t make my distance goal this week. Also I didn’t do the session intended on the training plan. The weather was unpredictable and my mood so bad that the idea of seven miles with four at half marathon pace was unthinkable.
- Tuesday I went for what was intended to be a 5km easy run, but the weather made it gross & horrible.
- Friday I went out for a fartlek effort, which sucked. I sucked.
- Sunday was an eight mile long run.
- Overall I’m feeling quite fatigued and not at my best. Some of this is due to reasons already mentioned, but also, probably, a lack of sleep.
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9 S6E24 “Time’s Orphan”
- Another episode where Mile’s is made to suffer by a sadistic universe.
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9 S6E25 “The Sound of Her Voice”
- This episode was really good.
- Ant Man and the Wasp (Peyton Reed, 2018).
- Fine viewing for a Friday evening, but nothing special.
- Okay some of the visual gags with the changing size of objects were amusing.
- And I think the film passed the three laughs test.